Romhack.me connects you to ROM Hackers around the world.

power of a computer

as i commented on my status, i recently downgraded from a core 2 duo system with 2gb of ram, to a pentium 3 system with 512 mb of ram.
a few things i have noted and was quite shocked by, is:

this system i am currently using is almost the exact core build as my first win 98 computer. the only major difference is my 98 rig used a celeron AND it was a desktop, not a laptop. but the shocking factor is that despite a slightly weaker core, its running xp at a faster and more powerful speed than my 98 rig did when i upgraded to xp. before people shart shouting "celeron sucks, that is why" i have to disagree. the celeron i used was a second gen, and it packed a punch in performance. it crushed the p3 in performance.

my core 2 system was amazing to start. lightning quick, powerful, and almost able to play need for speed the run (shared graphics killed it due to it killing 512mb of ram for graphics, and no control to reserve a solid 1gb needed for smooth performance). But for unknown reasons, it just deteriorated. it went from a kick ass system to something that this outdated, pos, get by pc stomps in performance. I have never experienced this in a computer, and pulling parts and using each individual part in a twin pc (same make/model) yealds no lag or decrease in performance. its like the parts are fine individually, but cannot work together. i have never figured this out, and unfortunaltely i cannot pull parts from the other laptop to fix mine (i dont own the other)

and lastly, every computer i use, work on, or just see, seems to have a personality of its own. no, im not crazy. no, computers arnt living things. what i mean is user aside, a new computer has its quirks and responses that varies from pc to pc, even if they are EXACTLY THE SAME.

has anyone else noticed these things, or had a weird experience?

I've nicknamed my AMD E1-1500 APU "Codename Garbage". Anything before Nehalem is a waste of time dealing with considering there's low-end Haswell CPUs for less than $50 USD on sale right now.

Here's an HTPC build I put together that totals around $350 USD. Should seamlessly handle 1080p media and run Office and shit, and maybe Minecraft on Fast GFX if you're crafty. Mini ITX because why waste space, and its size makes a Napoleon complex out of its power ;p

Mr. Bones says the ride never ends! ;D

EDIT: Thank you front page thread feed for crowning me the king of accidental necromancy.

Last update on September 12, 2:33 am by Alex.
Attachments

—Alex

Alex said...

I've nicknamed my AMD E1-1500 APU "Codename Garbage".

I have yet to find an AMD that isn't "codename garbage" when compared to it's Intel counterpart. People who claim price tag either don't know how to research processors, or don't realize and extra $25-$50 can double their performance, or they simply are too much of a fanboy to wake up to reality. The new Intel 8 core i7 coming out carries about a $50 larger price tag, but will crush AMD's current 8 core by a massive margin. To be realistic here, Intel is capable of completely crushing AMD, they simply choose not to. They currently use the overbearing processors in military tech instead of civilian systems. So no, this isn't a fanboy claim. I know of a few AMD cores that for a little while did overbear their Intel counterparts, but fell short in many areas in order to achieve this.
Last update on September 12, 11:55 am by _Fallenleader_.

Sure, from a normal perspective AMD always loses, even when Intel tries to let them win. My SoC (Shit of a Chip) is special because it's AMD's competition to Intel's Atom processor and also duos as an embarrassment to consumer electronics as at the time of purchase E1s were flooding the market. Dual-core at 1.4GHz, okay? Minecraft isn't playable at all, okay? It chokes on stock Windows 8, OKAY? (Quentin Tarantino) This is AMD hell, and it's soldered on. I've just decided to give them the middle finger with my money from now on, regardless of their product. Not buying their CPUs, GPUs, or APUs, at all. Fuck them.

—Alex

Alex said...

Not buying their CPUs, GPUs, or APUs, at all. Fuck them.

Not entirely at an agreement with GPU's. If you do your research, ATI cards are pretty good options for good quality budget graphics. NVidia takes the cake, sure, but typically has issues with past compatibility that ATI rarely has. In some cases, NVidia has other driver conflicts with games as well. but ultimately, my negative stance on AMD is in regards to their processors. there has been a recent contract where Intel is helping aid in the development of a new processor. This is the first consumer attempt at a core that emulates the concept of quantum processing (and probably going to be a flop). The irony of this is while Intel is aiding in development, they wont be the ones who's name is ruined when it fails, but will receive praise upon success. Intel isn't stupid, and theoretically could produce it themselves.
Personally I find any form of an embedded processor to be an attempt at raping the consumer. Granted that you might receive issues with a upgraded processor due to board chipset issues, but typically, unlike AMD, Intel chips wont fit in a socket on a board that is incapable of supporting it at 90% minimum. I still have to pry apart this laptop, but I bet that I will be able to upgrade this Pentium to a variant that supports hyper threading and virtualization, or possibly even the stronger Celeron variant of this socket series. I would rather invest the money on the new motherboard and i7 coming out though. its literally going to be the holy grail of pc gaming for the next 3-5 years, and AMD doesn't have the tech to compete on the octa-core market any longer. The benchmarks alone are at minimum state twice that of AMD's and that isn't even counting full speed or, God forbid, overclocking. Take a look at their new core. Its amazing.

Not entirely at an agreement with GPU's. If you do your research, ATI cards are pretty good options for good quality budget graphics. NVidia takes the cake, sure, but typically has issues with past compatibility that ATI rarely has. In some cases, NVidia has other driver conflicts with games as well. but ultimately, my negative stance on AMD is in regards to their processors. there has been a recent contract where Intel is helping aid in the development of a new processor. This is the first consumer attempt at a core that emulates the concept of quantum processing (and probably going to be a flop). The irony of this is while Intel is aiding in development, they wont be the ones who's name is ruined when it fails, but will receive praise upon success. Intel isn't stupid, and theoretically could produce it themselves.
Personally I find any form of an embedded processor to be an attempt at raping the consumer. Granted that you might receive issues with a upgraded processor due to board chipset issues, but typically, unlike AMD, Intel chips wont fit in a socket on a board that is incapable of supporting it at 90% minimum. I still have to pry apart this laptop, but I bet that I will be able to upgrade this Pentium to a variant that supports hyper threading and virtualization, or possibly even the stronger Celeron variant of this socket series. I would rather invest the money on the new motherboard and i7 coming out though. its literally going to be the holy grail of pc gaming for the next 3-5 years, and AMD doesn't have the tech to compete on the octa-core market any longer. The benchmarks alone are at minimum state twice that of AMD's and that isn't even counting full speed or, God forbid, overclocking. Take a look at their new core. Its amazing.

This might shed some light on my experience with AMD.
No matter how nice their GPUs may be or even may become, I am still not going to buy from them. IMQHOIIDSSMS this is reason enough for me as a consumer to personally boycott them and all their products.

—Alex

Alex said...

This might shed some light on my experience with AMD.
No matter how nice their GPUs may be or even may become, I am still not going to buy from them. IMQHOIIDSSMS this is reason enough for me as a consumer to personally boycott them and all their products.

My only reasoning to support their GPU's is simply because they own the overall product. ATI is the ones in charge manufacturing the GPU's which is why they don't turn out to be shitty products, unlike AMD's cores. That, and Intel graphics are notable for being shitty spec. Every company has their strengths, and when it comes to graphics, Intel sadly is quite lacking. NVidia for the record is not a Microsoft IP Neither is ATI, the difference is that AMD owns the rights to the ATI IP, not the product. when you branch out beyond processors alone, the politics get confusing.
as for overclocking any low end pc, fugeddahboutit. They intentionally leave the clock speed locked so consumers must buy TOTL (Top Of The Line) processors and rigs to get the OC boost. this is a business strategy both Intel and AMD share. Horrid as it is, it is due to the fact the average consumer will wanna OC for a boost, but will likely burn out their hardware instead, and then blame the companies for their mistakes. The average consumer wont buy hardware that is overclockable, mainly due to the price tag, and the fact that the majority of computer users use a pc for nothing more than web browsing or Facebook quality games.
Last update on September 14, 12:07 am by _Fallenleader_.

FX-6300 is the only good CPU AMD released lately

Ness said...

FX-6300 is the only good CPU AMD released lately

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/972/AMD_FX-Series...

Intel's best, vs AMD's best. Message is clear. nuff said. I would rather personally save up the extra cash for this crushing performance boost. That and I have had nothing but trouble from AMD.

true, computers do tend to have personalities based on their use... I have a desktop very similar to the one you had... core 2 duo, 4GB ram (originally it was only 2GB), 512Mb Nvidia GPU, and it was very nice at his time, like 7 years ago, but overall a very good computer, even today! it runs about every game there is, although NFS The Run never ran properly -.- a year ago I receiver a laptop with an i7, 8GB DDR3 ram and 2GB Nvidia GPU... i fell in love for him until I decided that W8 sucks and i downgraded to W7, the same OS as the desktop... and strangely they "behave" very alike, the only difference is that the laptop is way faster xD

about the AMD CPU, never used them and i tend to use Intel instead, nothing against AMD, but I've always been like this and the same is between ATI vs Nvidia... never used AMD or ATI, but i'm happy with Intel and Nvidia

true, computers do tend to have personalities based on their use... I have a desktop very similar to the one you had... core 2 duo, 4GB ram (originally it was only 2GB), 512Mb Nvidia GPU, and it was very nice at his time, like 7 years ago, but overall a very good computer, even today! it runs about every game there is, although NFS The Run never ran properly -.- a year ago I receiver a laptop with an i7, 8GB DDR3 ram and 2GB Nvidia GPU... i fell in love for him until I decided that W8 sucks and i downgraded to W7, the same OS as the desktop... and strangely they "behave" very alike, the only difference is that the laptop is way faster xD

about the AMD CPU, never used them and i tend to use Intel instead, nothing against AMD, but I've always been like this and the same is between ATI vs Nvidia... never used AMD or ATI, but i'm happy with Intel and Nvidia

Finally a response to my biggest question, lol. My new pc had an assessment run thrice when I got it. it had a 3d gaming graphics score of 3.5 (horrid). after working with the system, testing out my emulators and such, I was shocked by the high compatibility. heck it even played MW3 at ultra graphics with little lag (except when AI or players were added). Checking my score last night, it went from 3.5 to 5.7 while everything else stayed the same. no mods were done. I updated drivers before I ran the first assessment. this is why I believe computers compensate for their users. It is becoming quite the stable media/gaming rig, though it cant surpass my ps3 in that regard.
Last update on September 16, 12:03 am by _Fallenleader_.

Finally a response to my biggest question, lol. My new pc had an assessment run thrice when I got it. it had a 3d gaming graphics score of 3.5 (horrid). after working with the system, testing out my emulators and such, I was shocked by the high compatibility. heck it even played MW3 at ultra graphics with little lag (except when AI or players were added). Checking my score last night, it went from 3.5 to 5.7 while everything else stayed the same. no mods were done. I updated drivers before I ran the first assessment. this is why I believe computers compensate for their users. It is becoming quite the stable media/gaming rig, though it cant surpass my ps3 in that regard.

well, my desktop scores it's been all the same along the years, 6.5 for gaming. and as long new demanding games came out, he (I called him as person, not a thing... he is part of the family now, that's why I can't sell him... otherwise it's traffic xD) somehow handles the games in the monitor native resolution and with pretty decent graphics *-*